Component Placement 101
Automated placement of electronic components on to a printed circuit board using placement equipment is the primary method of populating a circuit board in electronics manufacturing. Successful component placement depends on knowledge of the component types and characteristics as they affect placement, process steps including machine set up and repair cycle, equipment parts like nozzles and vision systems, and the ability to identify basic defects. Tom Foley from ASM Assembly Systems, LLC will guide you through this informative online course providing a basic understanding of the component placement process.
Who Should Take This Course?
This course will be useful for companies who want to train their equipment operators and technicians to understand more about the overall process and who have a basic familiarity with the equipment referenced in each section.
- The types of components that are used
- The characteristics of the components
- Component packaging and feeding options
- Board requirements for placement
- Types of machines that are used
- Vision systems used
- Process sequence of component placement
- Initial placement machine setup
- Defects encountered during placement
- Rejected components and machine repair cycle
- Important considerations during placement
After taking the online course, the trainee should be capable to accomplish the following tasks:
- Understand component types and characteristics as they affect placement
- Understand baseline process parameters including machine set up and repair cycle
- Identify process defects
- Perform basic defect troubleshooting
Note: some prior familiarity with the specific equipment is expected.
Course Length and Format
- Approximately 122 minutes of recorded material
- Content is sectioned into short video clips ranging from seven to 25 minutes per topic
- You can download the 104 page PDF to follow along with the recordings
- It will take you an estimated 1-3 hours (cumulative) to complete the course
- A 17 question quiz will test your knowledge retention of the course material
- A certificate of completion can be emailed to you once a satisfactory score is achieved on the quiz